Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mary Oliver, "Goldenrod"

Is it terribly trite to like Mary Oliver's poetry? Possibly. Yet she manages to pull more than sheer cliche from the nature images she uses often enough to keep me loving her work.


Goldenrod

On roadsides,
in fall fields,
in rumpy bunches,
saffron and orange and pale gold,

in little towers,
soft as mash,
sneeze-bringers and seed-bearers,
full of bees sand yellow beads and perfect flowerlets

and orange butterflies.
I don't suppose
much notice comes of it, except for honey,
and how it heartens the heart with its

blank blaze.
I don't suppose anything loves it, except, perhaps,
the rocky voids
filled by its dumb dazzle.

For myself,
I was just passing by, when the wind flared
and the blossoms rustled,
and the glittering pandemonium

leaned on me.
I was just minding my own business
when I found myself on their straw hillsides,
citron and butter-colored,

and was happy, and why not?
Are not the difficult labors of our lives
full of dark hours?
And what has consciousness come to anyway, so far,

that is better than these light-filled bodies?
All day
on their airy backbones
they toss in the wind,

they bend as though it was natural and godly to bend,
they rise in a stiff sweetness,
in the pure peace of giving
one's gold away.

Comments:
TRITE???
 
Well, I hope not! :D
 
Oliver's word choices open up all of my senses. I don't just see those saffron flowers. I hear the breeze and imagine the sun's warmth on my eyelids. She puts me right in the moment. Paradoxically, she takes me out of the moment too.
 
To be in such Holy consciousness for on second is enough to give my existence meaning for my entire lifetimee
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]