Sunday, October 19, 2008

Obama's natty fashion choices

Hm, I made an amusing post about cultural misunderstandings in class, but Blogger has eaten my witty words and now they are as if they never were.

So you get this instead--a photo my mother took of a political billboard near my home in Maine:



What a world, what a world.

I think it's the cheery jack o'lanterns in the back that get me. And you know what? I still find Barack Hussein Obama the Terrorist Muslim, with his downcast eyes and pensive look, more appealing than John Sidney McCain the War Hero, with his clenched fists and accentuated crotch.

I filled out my absentee ballot today, by the way, and will mail it proudly tomorrow.

Comments:
You know, in the photo Mom sent I had absolutely no grasp of scale... it seemed much smaller. it is HUGE. God help us.
 
Yeah, it's too bad Mom couldn't get a person next to it for scale! :) But I wouldn't have wanted her to get much closer. Terrifying...
 
What is the verdict on our wacko elections over there? I hear Europeans far prefer Obama--is this the case with folks in Japan too?
 
Strangely, I just read a news report in the Japan Times that Asians tend to favor McCain. The reasons include things like racism--apparently people here find it unnerving to imagine an African-American as the "face of America." Also a sort of basic conservatism (not necessarily social): "change" is by no means an assumptive good in China and Japan especially. Japan especially (the government, that is) rather likes America in bellicose mode, as when we're seen as "weak on defense" Japan gets worried.

All that said, my students generally seem to prefer Obama. :) Something of a disassociation between the leaders and the youth, I think.
 
Thanks!
That's interesting--kind of touches on something you'd mentioned about the whole Jpnese ethos of NOT rocking the boat.
Americans think of "change" as a positive. If "think" is the right word.
You list qualities that make sense as to why some Americans like McCain too:
warlike, white, conservative.
Soon it will all be over. Hooray!
The election, that is, not the world (I hope).
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]