Sunday, November 9, 2008

Still pretty giddy

I promise--really!--that I will stop talking about President-Elect Barack Hussein Obama real soon.

Wait.

President-Elect Barack Hussein Obama.

Hell yeah.

*ahem*

But I did want to mention a couple of things that I enjoyed reading recently on the topic.

-----------------

The Onion has owned my heart and soul since it came back from hiatus after 9/11 with this story: Not Knowing What Else to Do, Woman Bakes American-Flag Cake. I remember being really reluctant to read it at the time, because I didn't want how I was feeling to be mocked, but the Onion managed to delicately and tenderly break my heart with it.

It re-captured me with this week's Kobe Bryant Scores 25 in Holy Shit We Elected a Black President. It's beautiful, beautiful writing, and the last two paragraphs made me cry all over again.

-----------------

Newsweek has an amazingly detailed and fascinating account of the race for the presidency, Secrets of the 2008 Campaign. It's a long read--seven chapters of five or six sections each--and totally worth it. This is the report you've been getting all those horror stories about Palin's ignorance from, but I was a lot more interested in what I learned about Obama from it. Three things especially caught my eye:

--The debates unnerved both candidates. When he was preparing for them during the Democratic primaries, Obama was recorded saying, "I don't consider this to be a good format for me, which makes me more cautious. I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself, 'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me … answer it.' So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that you've done [that's green], and I say, you know, 'Well, I planted a bunch of trees.' And he says, 'I'm talking about personal.' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'."

--Holder, a former deputy U.S. attorney general in the Clinton administration and an old Washington hand, was struck by Obama's half-open, half-inscrutable manner during the nearly eight hours of meetings they spent together going over potential veeps. Obama was diligent, bringing up small morsels of information hidden in the fat briefing books, and he acted like a law professor who calls on reluctant pupils ("I haven't heard from you," he'd say to anyone around the table who had been silent too long). A lot of politicians pretend to be inclusive; Obama actually was. But "at the end, you didn't know where he stood. When you got down to the final judgment, I had a sense, but I didn't have any kind of certainty." Holder thought Obama was being shrewd to not signal his intentions too clearly—since "people want to say what the boss wants to hear, and if they don't know, you'll get more honest advice."

I find this one of the most encouraging anecdotes about Obama I've heard. It's a sign of a person who knows how groupthink works and wants to make sure to avoid it whenever possible.

--Obama's debate coach, Michael Sheehan, a veteran of many campaign psychodramas over the years, was struck by the senator's calmness. The candidate was always in control of his feelings. During one afternoon prep session, Obama begged off. "I'm a little tired and a little cranky," he told a roomful of aides. "I'm going to my room for a half hour and I'll be in better shape to work with." He reappeared 30 minutes later, ready for work. Obama was, as ever, self-possessed—his own best judge of his mood and strength. After a full-dress mock debate in the evening, when it was time to review the tape of his performance, Obama turned to Sheehan and said, "Michael, I'm tired." He was not complaining, Sheehan recalled; he was just being matter-of-fact. Nothing seemed to rattle Obama. He had a way of retreating into his own little world. During one of the debate preps, the lights blew, flickering on and off like a strobe light from the 1970s disco craze. Obama stood behind the podium, quietly singing the song "Disco Inferno," last popular in the heyday of "Saturday Night Fever."

I'm especially struck in the essay with how distant Obama is. People who work with him say consistently that he's not a huggy, affectionate man. He keeps people at arm's length. Staffers were constantly disappointed that he didn't enjoy hanging out and schmoozing with them like Bill Clinton always did. He's very self-assured, very self-contained. He doesn't seem to crave approval from the people around him. All of which suggests that America has managed to pull off something almost as unthinkable to me as electing an African-American: we've elected a cerebral, intellectual man. Unbelievable.

Okay, I promise I'll try to get back to discussing books, movies, work and other fun things. But just one more time for the record:

PRESIDENT-ELECT BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA.

Comments:
We've elected a Vulcan! They come in all colors, as you know.
 
Did you see Henry Jenkins's take on Obama as Spock? I thought it was just great! *fangirlish glee*

Though he grouses about Kirk referring to Spock as the "most human" person he knew at his funeral, saying it's basically racist. But...I always took the crack in Jim's voice, the hesitation before the term, to be a sign that he knew perfectly well the irony of the term. Could just be me, though...
 
No, no--I'm with you!!!
I did see and love Jenkins's Obama as Vulcan post, but I disagree about the "most human" thing-- it was Kirk saying "this guy saw me like no one else ever has", that's what he meant. So, yeah, a little self-referential and all, but hey! It's Jim Kirk speaking! J.i.m. K.i.r.k. Mr. Self-Referential. So what? Spock loved him and so do I.
 
Hi, Jen--
I'm trying to write something halfway intelligent. In other words, I am sitting at my computer, writing a few words, erasing half of them, and then reading blog archives of other people.
Then writing a few more words...
So, thanks to you and everyone who posts live links that help me procrastinate!

But seriously, I just read the Onion 9/11 cake article.
I have read almost NOTHING about 9/11 because either the sentimentality appalls me or the horror wipes my brain clean.

But I trust your judgment, and gave the cake piece a try. (Of course, I was desperate.) It was perfect. I cried without feeling manipulated for once. The line that really got me was this:
"Mixing the cake and placing it in the oven shortly after 3 p.m., Pearson sat at the kitchen table and stared at the oven door until the timer rang 50 minutes later."

In my experience, that's exactly what grief is like.
 
I'm glad to know it isn't just me with the cake story. :) I agree, almost nothing about 9/11 works for me unless it's so elliptical I'm not sure it's even about it. But something about the sort of numbness of this one really felt right, the desperate desire to do something, anything, no matter how pointless. I always feel it was one of the greatest tragedies of Bush's administration, in an administration full of tragedies, that he failed to channel the griving energy of a nation in any productive way. I really think if he had called on that day for true sacrifice, for a serious adjustment, people would have done it.

I was alone in Japan that day, Dan had flown to the U.S. the day before. I have vague memories of taking a bus downtown to buy an American flag simply to do something, the sympathetic glances from strangers as I walked around like a zombie.
 
Yes. It was a tragedy. Here an opening in our universe to evolve, to shift toward compassion, and our leader(s) shut it down, turned it into another slaughter instead.

Baking a pretty cake is a far more evolved response.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]