Thursday, April 8, 2010

Variations on the Word "Sleep," by Margaret Atwood



Variations on the Word "Sleep"
Margaret Atwood
 I would like to watch you sleeping,
which may not happen.
I would like to watch you,
sleeping. I would like to sleep
with you, to enter
your sleep as its smooth dark wave
slides over my head

and walk with you through that lucent
wavering forest of bluegreen leaves
with its watery sun & three moons
towards the cave where you must descend,
towards your worst fear

I would like to give you the silver
branch, the small white flower, the one
word that will protect you
from the grief at the center
of your dream, from the grief
at the center. I would like to follow
you up the long stairway
again & become
the boat that would row you back
carefully, a flame
in two cupped hands
to where your body lies
beside me, and you enter
it as easily as breathing in

I would like to be the air
that inhabits you for a moment
only. I would like to be that unnoticed
& that necessary.

----

That's William Blake's drawing of Virgil watching Dante and Statius sleep as they make their way toward Purgatory
in
The Inferno. I know nothing at all about Statius, although Wikipedia tells me he is the character with the fourth-
largest amount of time in the
Infero, after Dante, Virgil, and Beatrice. He was apparently another poet who Dante
meets on the way.


I went looking for a more traditional image of couples watching each other sleep, but was struck by the way Blake's
visionary, dreamy art fits the mythological overtones of Atwood's poem, which brings
The 12 Dancing Princesses
and Orpheus' descent into Hades to mind for me.


Watching someone lost in dreams which you can't share is usually a melancholy image--Atwood adds another layer
to it by having the narrator long for even that level of bittersweet intimacy with the beloved.

Labels:


Comments:
Your use of that image illuminated the poem for me:
I have loved the poem in the past but had never linked it with Dante's descent into hell, and back again, even though it's right THERE--even the boat.

I love being so old that when I revisit poems they have taken on whole new meanings and levels.

I love reading other people's choices of poems--it's especially interesting when they choose one of my poems.
 
Ah, the pang of a beautiful poem!

This, I love.
Never heard it before, but it's a wonder.

Mmmmm (this is me digesting those lovely words), thank you....
 
I don't think I knew this was one of "yours," Fresca! :) And I know that feeling of poems being your emotional property to some extent, it's an interesting one, isn't it? I agree, there are poiems I come back to and see in totally new ways (stories as well, I just re-read Atwood's novel Cat's Eye for the 10th or so time and I think this was the first time I understood it, good grief!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]