Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Tragic Bargain!"

Another romance comic about money! This one features a heroine who is apparently legitimately mousy but sweet, and who shows a surprising amount of spine and spark when betrayed. She crumples soon after, of course, but I still do enjoy the tongue-lashing she gives her brother and lover when she discovers their..."Tragic Bargain!"



The preponderance of men with pipes in romance comics cracks me up, somehow. It seems to have been a sign of...suavity? Sophistication? Something like that...which is odd as the romantic lead in this one isn't particularly suave at all...

Despite dedicating herself to her brother and niece's happiness to the exclusion of love, Fay happens one day to run into a handsome man. Later, he seeks her out and they fall in love. But after their clinch, trouble begins to surface in paradise:




I'm not exactly sure I follow the logic of that ending, but ah well. For a self-sacrificing Angel of the House, Fay shows a surprising amount of spine, all things considered. And I guess I'm glad to see her out from under her brother's paternalistic thumb a bit...I just kind of wish she'd kept walking until she found a job and a life somewhere else!

Labels:


Comments:
Oh, you've changed your comments section!

I must say, this is so much easier...

I like this, though it does make group conversations harder...
I have seen real group conversations happening on threaded sites that never get going on Blogger comment sections--though they usually are about hot and/or controversial topics (politics or fandom), and I think that's a big part of it.

These comics are a riot:
"everything is going to be all right" I could buy, but "...forever"???

Jen, how did you get your pictures to post so large? Mine are about half that size, if that...
 
Everything will be all right FOREVER, yes! That's the promise of romance! :)

As for the pictures, I use Photobucket--you can post images there (I crop them to 600 pixels wide) and then tell Blogger to use the picture's URL, and the image is reproduced on the page without being ensmallened. It's a little extra work but sometimes I like to have the images be fairly large...
 
Is it just me, or did the writer take a fairly simple concept and make it a little more complicated than it had to be?

Word verification: nerdie.
 
"Nerdie"? That is awesome! And I suspect writers sometimes found their idea only filled up three pages so they had to add some convoluted plot twists here and there, lol...
 
Thanks for the photobucket tip.
Mostly I'm OK with the default Blogger size, but things with text, like these panels, need to be large, and I had no idea.
Cool!
 
I want to punch Fay. That is all.
 
But...but Fay is plain! And everyone knows in the world of comic books, "plain" means that no course is too abject in pursuit of love...

(I just came across some "advice columns" in Young Bride, and while some of the advice is sound, the whole tone of it fills me with a deep and vague anxiety. The kind, well-meaning hectoring! You don't want to live your whole life without love, do you? Yipes...)
 
It cracked me up, (and horrified me a bit), when Fay was looking in the mirror going "If a man ever falls in love with me, it won't be for my looks". GOD FORBID a man should have any other cause for love than a pretty face.

Also, they didn't do such a good job in convincing me Fay was plain. I mean, heavens, the way she was talking about herself you'd think she was Jabba the Hutt!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]