Saturday, March 27, 2010

Find Me a Bride!

From Young Brides, a truly nutty story of a guy who decides his widower father needs a wife. His father finally agrees to send his son down the "Frisco" to pick out a bride for him. Not terribly surprisingly, when the guy picks out the perfect woman, he promptly falls in love with her. When he gets all noble about it, the woman is refreshingly annoyed:


"Rar! I promised my Dad a woman, and I'm bringing him a woman!"

But when she arrives, she blurts out that she can't marry the father. The father is pretty phlegmatic about the whole thing:


As it turns out, he got married while his son was gone. :) Weirdest matchmaking ever? Perhaps! But everyone lives happily ever after...

Labels:


Comments:
Que bizarre! What kind of father....?

The boldfaced words crack me up. In the reading voice inside my head, all such words are shouted with violent sarcasm.

MALARKEY.
 
MALARKY!

I actually teach a class here in Japan about media codes, and usually have a section on the differences between American comics and Japanese manga. My students find the lettering completely opaque, especially because it's traditionally all in capital letters. "We can't tell what's a proper name and what's just words!" the complain, which makes perfect sense. I don't know why it doesn't all sound like shouting to people who grew up with it, the way capital-letter writing does online...
 
I'm sure people have written reams about the political connotations of comic culture: this one reminded me of the slavish devotion Fascist states inspire... or require.

In other words, I don't think she should marry this guy!
 
"Damn it, I bought you for my Dad and by God I'm going to hand you over! A purchase is a purchase!" o_o
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]